What is home contents insurance?

This type of insurance cover is designed for the protection of your possessions in the event that they are stolen or damaged. If you’re a victim of theft, fire or flood damage, having to replace all that you own adds insult to injury.

What does home contents insurance cover?

As a general rule, your contents are the things that could be taken with you if you decided to move house.

This may include cover for your belongings, such as: beds, sofas, furniture, DVDs, CDs, books, pots, pans, cutlery, crockery, TVs, laptops, clothes and jewellery.

By getting home contents insurance you are able to get cover against theft, intentional damage to your valuables, as well as damage caused by a power surge or a burst geyser.

The cover that you get should be inflation-linked to ensure that your contents won’t be under-insured.

Statistics have shown that one in three homes in South Africa is underinsured by some 30%.

How can you get the best Home Contents Insurance?

Ask around

Ask family and friends or even an expert if you can, to make recommendations. Make sure that you compare more than three home contents insurance quotes.

Be cautious

Don’t just accept the first quote you get.  Be careful to make sure that you get cover from registered financial services providers.

Make calls

Don’t limit yourself to using online quotes only. It may help to make a few phone calls to try to get yourself a better quote.

Choose wisely and read carefully

Spend some time researching policies so you can choose the best one. Don’t assume that all insurance policies are created equal. Read carefully about how the company will determine the “amount of loss” or how they will assess your home content’s value.