According to the National Credit Act, every consumer has the right to one free credit report in a 12 month period. Consumers can get this credit report from these credit bureaus:
- TransUnion (ITC)
What is a credit report?
A credit report is a complete record of your financial history. It details information on your borrowing and spending habits, payment trends and contact details.
A credit report reveals past and present loans, credit cards, mortgages and any other reported debts. It discloses the status of these accounts, whether up-to-date, overdue, paid in full or whether there were any collections. A credit report will register the severity of your overdue accounts.
As a credit-active consumer, it’s important that you check your credit report at least once a year to make sure that the information listed on it is correct.
What are the benefits of getting a free credit report?
- You are able to get better insight into your current debt ratings with banks
- You can get detailed information about your debt
- You know exactly who has viewed your credit profile
- You are able to know exactly how much you still owe
- This gives you the opportunity to improve your credit rating
- You can challenge the information presented in the report to keep it completely accurate.
Compuscan offers a service called My Credit Check, which is an easy-to-use, online portal that allows all South African citizens, with a valid South African ID number to access their credit information via their personal credit report.
By choosing to get a free credit report here, it will help you to understand your credit data, show you how to monitor accounts, manage debt and will help you improve your credit profile.
To get a free credit report, visit www.mycreditcheck.co.za